Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Reflection on 1st Response Paper

I really enjoyed getting together with people who wrote about similar paper topics as mine. It was interesting to hear what they wrote about, and their opinions on Harry Brighouse's "On Education" book. In my paper I said that I liked his theory of education, however, after listening to my classmates reviews on his book, I realized he isn't able to back up all of his information. I do not think that happiness and flourishing are the same things. I really feel that someone could be happy and not be what society views as living a 'successful' life, and rising up the finical ladder. It was nice being able to discuss our ideas of flourishing amongst one another.
I think that in order for a person to live a flourishing life, they must meet three things. They have to have the capability for economic stability, they need to find personal interests, and they need to learn how to be a good citizen. If they can meet these 3 areas, happiness should follow.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. If we can find a way to flourish, we will be happy. My question is what happens when our personal desires and interests perhaps come into conflict with good citizenship? I suppose it all depends on what one's definition of good citizenship is. I think Brighouse would agree with you about happiness and flourishing not being the same thing. There are probably people who are happy in the ignorance or lack of purpose, and they might not be considered to be flourishing.

    ReplyDelete