Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 19, 2010

Chocolate Milk

My nutrition teacher just informed the class that she wrote an article in response to Decorahs chocolate milk challenge, and it got published. I was really glad to hear this, because I found it unbelievable that they would participate in such an event. Granted, I can see where their thinking was coming from; most people do associate any type of milk as being good, or if anything, better than pop. However, chocolate milk is just as bad as pop. It has 23 grams of sugar in 8 ounces! That causes your insulin leaves to rise drastically, and only leaves you craving more sugar 2 hours later when those levels drop. I hate to think that the Decorah schools caused children to turn to chocolate milk, and thus, turn to even more bad eating habits.





I think nutrition is something that is not enforced enough in schools. School lunches are terrible, not just in taste, but in their nutrient contents as well. Obesity is at its worst and only growing. We as educators need to do what we can to better educate our students so they choose to eat well, before their habits become addictions.





No comments:

Post a Comment